New Dev Boxes

It is time: I’m standing up a couple of new development systems, so I am going to use Tomcat 8 and Java 8 as the basis for deploying Railo and Adobe ColdFusion 10 on them. This is the first time I’ve done anything with either Tomcat 8 or Java 8 as the base for the application server stack but with Java 7 set for EOL this (I first wrote “next”) year, the timing for moving seemed appropriate.

I have Railo deployed and running without issue on the first of the two systems, and have encountered no issues at all to this point.

I will blog a bit in the near future to describe my approach and a couple of minor Tomcat differences I have found.

Updated 2014-01-02: Well, that didn’t take long to go sideways… I spent several hours this afternoon trying to deploy ColdFusion 10 on Tomcat 8, and so far have been unsuccessful. I can get the WAR to unpack, but the application simply refuses to start with a very non-specific error in the Catalina log file that (I’m guessing here) appears to indicate an incompatibility with Tomcat 8 in ColdFusion 10. More to come, but my next run at this will probably be to drop back a step or two and try deploying on Tomcat 7 and Java 8.

Updated 2014-01-03: Moving forward again. As of this morning, I now have both Railo 4 and ColdFusion 10 deployed against Tomcat 7 and Java 8.

Plumbing Language

I spent nearly two hours working on the kitchen faucet this afternoon. By the time I was finished, I had used nearly every tool I own (except my hammers, and there were definitely times where I was very close to calling in those) and nearly every bit of plumbing language I know (using some bits multiple times, including using some as both adjectives and nouns in the same sentence, although almost all of this was in my “inside” voice).

By the time I was finished, I had disassembled and reassembled said faucet no fewer than three times. When I was finished, the faucet worked.

I decided a beverage was in order.