Work on the Komodo-CFML front

Things on the Komodo-CFML front have been pretty quiet here of late, but that’s not because nothing has been going on. I threw everything out and started over, and I’m now close to having a completely rebuilt version ready to release.

Things on the Komodo-CFML front have been pretty quiet here of late, but that’s not because nothing has been going on. Several months ago, as I wrestled with some odd behavior I was seeing with the extension under then-new Komodo v9, I came to the conclusion that there were a couple of fundamental problems with the approach I had taken in tokenizing CFML (used in Komodo to provide syntax colorizing). Furthermore, that approach appeared to make it nearly impossible to do much in terms of any sort of code intelligence-type help.

So… I started over. Completely. Threw everything out and started from the ground up, building an entirely new version of the extension. (Actually, I started over three times, trying to make sure I had a better approach.) At one point, I got stuck waiting for resolution of a bug relating to how Komodo creates the skeletons of extensions.

At this point, I am very close to having this completely-rebuilt version ready to release (probably as a v0.2.5). I’ve tried to make sure it provides everything the current v0.2.4 does in terms of syntax highlighting, but it also has a couple additions:

  • completely reworked DTDs for CFML + HTML5 (for both CFML v10 and v11), with content models that provide better and more consistent access to CFML tag and attribute completion
  • CFML language keyword, scope, and function name completion (this is what I started working on and ended up heading down the rabbit-hole that led me to scrap everything and start over)
  • macros for CFML help for the word under the current caret position and for CFML comment/uncomment region that work in a manner consistent with Komodo’s built-in comment/uncomment region (more on this at some later date)

So… I’m close. Close enough that I have been using this new (still evolving) version for my daily development work for several weeks. I’m waiting for one additional Komodo bug to be resolved (hoping it will be included in Komodo v9.3, which is in the nightly-build prerelease stage at this point). I will post something here when I release it, as well as making it available through the Komodo packages repository.

Hop: First steps with Debian 8 “Jessie”

I’ve always felt like I should be running Debian Linux (for obvious — if you know me — reasons) but never have… until yesterday: I have my Asus netbook now running the newly-released Debian 8 “Jessie” release. So far, about all I have done is install, make sure everything is working, and do a bit of typical performance tuning (I/O scheduler, /etc/fstab options, swappiness) to take advantage of the SSD.

More to come…

Komodo Color Schemes on Github

I finally got around to putting the Komodo color schemes I’ve developed and tweaked over the past couple years on GitHub.

I finally got around to putting the Komodo color schemes I’ve developed and tweaked over the past couple years on GitHub. They’ve each been updated a bit to take advantage of some of the new capabilities in Komodo v9, to be more consistent internally and with each other, and to cover an additional language or two (e.g., Markdown).

Preview of Base16r-Default-Dark Komodo color scheme
Preview of Base16r-Default-Dark color scheme for Komodo IDE/Edit

See: https://github.com/we3geeks/komodo-color-schemes

A bit of interesting work

I’ve had a couple of interesting days, stretching some mental muscles:

  • Finally digging into creating some Alfred workflows to streamline common stuff I do on my Macs. I’m just scratching the surface of what workflows are capable of, and just getting started.
  • Spending some time digging into using SQL Server’s XML handling capabilities to shred highly-structured XML into relational data. Kind of mind-warping, but an interesting challenge. Definitely learning, and fairly impressed with the speed.

Past week

Gone for a week, and just now catching up.

Gone for most of last week on work-related travel to DC, and just now catching up:

  • My travel mojo is alive and well: I made it home without any interruptions or delays for a change, but awoke on the date of my scheduled departure to find a text message from Delta indicating my first leg had been canceled and that I had been rebooked on a different set of flights arriving (thankfully) very late the same day.
  • A new CFML server showed up last week: Lucee, a fork from Railo and which likely spells the end of Railo as a thing. I’ve deployed it via Tomcat on two of the systems where I do development so that I can play with it a bit.
  • 4,700 spam comments on various entries in my blog. Ugh.
  • TUAW is being shut down. Ugh. That’s a loss, as TUAW has been one of my go-to sites for keeping tab on all things Apple, Mac OS X, and iOS.