WordPress Auto-Update Fails

I noticed earlier this week that WordPress had announced the availability of a minor update. With the new auto-update feature, I figured it wouldn’t be a big deal. Wrong-o. An hour and a half later, I ended up manually updating. Not impressed.

I poked through the forums, and there are quite a few people that are bumping into this upgrade problem with 2.7.1, but there seems to be a wide variety of potential solutions that people are suggesting, none of which seemed relevant or helped me, and none of which seem to really solve most other people’s problems.

A couple more thoughts: the whole concept of an auto-update is really a great idea, but I’ll admit I was kind of dubious about it in practice when I read that the WP team was including it: just too many ways that things could go sideways. And the reality, at least for me, is that I can do a manual update (aside from the database backup) in less than 5 minutes.

And the reason I wanted to update, aside from just trying to stay current, was that I had a few things I wanted to write about (so it was frustrating to get stuck on something like that when I really wanted to be writing).

At any rate, there’s a post coming here in the next day or so.